Happy July! And shoutout to all my fellow Cancers who are just as emotional as I am. Whether you love this season because of the patio weather or because it provides the perfect excuse to wear dresses instead of pants (not sorry), it’s safe to say that summer is a favorite for many of us.
Maybe I’m growing up or just growing sentimental (or both), but this is the year I finally admit that there’s more to celebrate in July than the arrival of the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. What am I talking about, you ask? My birthday. While I’ve never been one to make a huge deal over celebrating this specific day, I also realize I’m over halfway through my 20s – and still completely under the impression that I’m living in the decade that’s meant for anything but settling.
While I know that everyone has their own path, this post is dedicated to what I’ve realized while embarking on mine. From the heartbreaking disappointments to the empowering breakthroughs, here are 25 things I’ve learned in the past 25 years that have shaped who I am and will continue to guide me to who I’ll become.
1. Life is unfair, work hard anyway.
2. The right person for you won’t make you question it.
3. You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you fight for.
4. People will always doubt you, so don’t ever let that define you.
5. The only thing holding you back is the timeline you’ve set for yourself.
6. Your dreams matter more than the reasons for why you shouldn’t chase them.
7. People who live in big cities aren’t paying for space, they’re paying for feeling.
8. There are greater things happening in the world besides the likes on your notifications.
9. No one can love you better than you can.
10. The “right moment” is when you decide it is.
11. You’re only as strong as your ability to accept rejection.
12. The world is cruel, but you don’t have to be.
13. Not everyone is meant to stay in your life and that’s what makes them special.
14. Failure isn’t a real concept – it’s better to face rejection than to feel regret.
15. If you’re not struggling, you’re not trying.
16. What people want for you doesn’t have to be what you want for yourself.
17. Moms are right about everything – so wear sunblock and drink water.
18. Talent might get you there, but hard work will keep you there.
19. Protect the people who make you feel appreciated and pursue the things that what make you feel alive.
20. The less friends you have, the more loyal they are.
21. You can’t fix people as well as you can forgive them.
22. Comparison is the key to unhappiness.
23. People will let you down, but purple shampoo never will.
24. It doesn’t happen the way we want, it happens the way it should.
25. Your gut feeling is the one thing people can’t take away from you – listen to it.